What? Employee Relations Advisor
Who? River Island
Where? West London
A BIT ABOUT RIVER ISLAND AND THE TEAM:
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
We’re looking for an exceptional : Employee Relations Advisor
To support us in delivering an excellent HR service, we are looking for an Employee Relations Advisor to join our award-winning HR team! Reporting to the Employee Relations Manager, you will support the overall Employee Relations function to provide a proactive, value-added service through working in partnership with key stakeholders throughout the business.
Key duties will involve:
- Keep up to date with legislative changes and take responsibility to continue to develop industry knowledge
- Supporting with all aspects of the employee lifecycle such as investigation, disciplinary, grievance, appeal, flexible working and redundancy
- Providing in-depth support with disciplinary, grievance and appeals; logging paperwork/updates centrally, co-ordinating hearings, upkeep of communication with all parties, supporting in drafting outcome letters, advising as appropriate and ensuring that matters are concluded within a timely manner
- Responsibility for the ongoing cleansing of formal warnings retained in the department, removing and destroying spent warnings as appropriate
- Deliver ‘sound’ advice, responding to queries in a timely and professional manner and escalating through the correct channels, where necessary. Also logging advice centrally on ER Advisory log.
- Manage own administration effectively and efficiently
- Support with note taking where appropriate.
- Support in making recommendations to improve or develop new policies and procedures
- Recommend process improvements for all aspects of the employee relations function
- Support with the consultation process throughout the business e.g. harmonising terms and conditions of employment, department/store re-sites and restructures
- Support the absence management process by pro-actively working with line managers to follow up on employees with high levels of absence, requesting medical consent and medical reports as applicable, liaising and advising with line managers over any returned medical reports and the maintenance of the absence management log
- Support the maternity process; ensuring that expectant mothers receive maternity packs efficiently, appropriate central logs are updated accordingly, ensure associated paperwork is co-ordinated/received in a timely manner, ongoing upkeep of communication with Payroll, new/expectant mothers/line managers
- Constantly reviewing internal processes to ensure ongoing effectiveness
- Effective communication with the wider HR team to ensure consistency and visibility, working as a unit with all HR functions
- Analysing data within the department and reporting in accordance with this e.g. nature of queries, grievances, appeals, absence, maternity etc. Support by providing data for use in quarterly/bi-annual/annual service delivery reporting
- Delivery of additional ad hoc project work in line with agreed objectives and HR Strategy
- Identification of opportunities and solutions to continuously improve the ER service provided across the business
- Support the ER ‘out of hours’ rota, once implemented
Suitable candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Currently in an ER advisory role within retail or FMCG
- In depth knowledge of UK/ROI Employment Legislation
- Ability to build effective relationships
- Develop and maintain good working relationships throughout the business. Strong organisation and time management skills
- Responds positively to changing requirements
- The ability to work well within a team and autonomously
- A confident and experienced negotiator with strong communication skills
- Positive, pro-active and enthusiastic approach
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Identifies issues and recommends sound solutions
- Develops and implements plans in order to meet objectives
- Actively encourages the learning development of self, and others
- Ability to demonstrate presence, visibility and credibility throughout the Company